We consider the article written by Dalida Kozlic and published on September 23rd to be unworthy of a special response due to its unprofessional way of presenting serious and contradictory accusations, non-truths and detraction, while failing to produce any evidence.
Without an intention to further engage in discussion, we would like to state the following:
• The role of Foundation Dogs Trust BH (DTBH) has always been clear – to help authorities to comprehensively, not partially, implement the law on protection and welfare of animals and resolve the problem of stray dogs in a systematic and sustainable way.
• DTBH did not officially support any decision of Canton of Sarajevo Government and it does not have an established partnership with KJKP “Rad,” and if a partnership is created, it will be exclusively tied to the implementation of the law; meaning the formation of a hygiene service, which is mandated by the existing law. Regardless of Rad’s activities prior to 2009 that were in accordance with the previous law, presently this services can be activated only as a hygiene service based on the current law. The Veterinary Inspection of Canton Sarajevo, which previously ordered transformation of “Rad” into a hygiene service, will oversee the process of reactivating “Rad” to ensure that the order is followed lawfully.
• As a charitable organization, DTBH does not dictate anything to anyone and it does not interfere with governance; the initiative originated within the government and they accepted our earlier offered assistance. DTBG will participate in this and all other initiatives within its capacity as long as these initiatives fit within the framework of the law.
• DTBH has financed only its own legal activities in partnership with relevant institutions. These same activities are implemented by other international and local organizations. Everything that DTBH does is in accordance with BiH law, and as a leading world organization of this kind, its activities are congruent with the highest standards for animal welfare.
• Mass sterilization is mandated by law and it is being implemented lawfully and in accordance with the highest standards for animal welfare. Other participants include only registered veterinary facilities and their licensed staff who work under the oversight of national and international inspectors.
• DTBH will respond to the government’s appeals for conversation on the implementation of the law and the resolution of the stray dog problem, and we cannot control who else the host invites to participate in the conversations.
• DTBH has not in any way been a part of the formation of the county hygiene services N. Grad – Lokom. The county previously participated in our mass sterilization actions during which dog catchers from all counties were trained. Those same dog trainers refused to return borrowed dog catching equipment, essentially stealing it.
• DTBH has the right like everyone else to conduct a survey of dogs and publish its findings. DTBH utilized the newest methods and engaged a local organization and Veterinary University students, who were trained by the Office of Veterinary BiH, to conduct counting of the dogs.
• DTBH is not leading any campaign against building of shelters, on the contrary, it is soliciting the authorities to build shelters in accordance with the law.
If you would like to help Journalists for Animals in their work in documenting what is happening for animals in Bosnia Herzegovina, or to assist in any particular rescue effort or case, please go to PAYPAL and make a donation to:
Please mark in the donation if your donation is for a particular animal or cause.
And also, once you have made your donation, please ensure that you ‘view transaction details’ (or click on the link ‘details’ beside your donation, or click on the ‘Confirm Receipt’ button if it is there), and click ‘confirm receipt’ otherwise the funds are not able to be used for several weeks. Thank you!